Happy Hump Day! And what a beaut of a day it is. In addition to marking the midweek, today is also Day 6 of Harrisburg Beer Week, which means we’re in the home stretch now for the region’s inaugural beer week. (Note: HBW is longer than 7 days.) Check the event calendar for all kinds of craft beer tastings, dinners, films and more, or don’t and just trust our recommendations below. Check ’em out, and tell us below what’s on your agenda for tonight and the rest of the week…
On tap tonight:
• Pair Tröegs beers with some freshly shucked raw oysters from Lancaster City Oyster Company tonight at Brewhouse Grille (2050 State Rd., Camp Hill) starting at 5pm. Limited, seasonal and year-round Tröegs brews are on draft, including Chris and John Trogner’s handpicked beer pairings for each of the three styles of oysters.
• Deschutes brews are paired up with food from Sturges Speakeasy (400 Forster St., Harrisburg) starting at 5pm. A Deschutes rep is on hand to talk you through the experience and feature some additional brews from his bag of treats.
• Now this is a pairing we can get behind… Wegmans (6416 Carlisle Pike, Mechanicsburg) is pairing Tröegs Troegenator doublebock with Ultimate Chocolate Cake. That’s, like, two desserts… Have a taste from 5-7pm.
• The Brewery at Hershey and Harrisburg Young Professionals are teaming up to drop some knowledge on craft beer basics like IBU’s and ABV’s, lagers and ales, how crazy things like peanut butter and coconut have made their way into today’s beers and other things you’ve been wondering about but never wanted to ask. It’s going down at Café 1500 (1500 N. Sixth St., Harrisburg) from 6-7:30pm and will include sampling a variety of beers as you learn about the history of craft beer on up to beer and food pairing. Bonus: Attendees will also receive a complimentary ticket to the first concert of the Vineyard at Hershey summer series on May 1. Cost is $25 at the door, seating is limited and RSVP is required.
• Head to Midtown Cinema (250 Reily St., Harrisburg) at 7pm for a screening of the irreverent craft brew documentary Beer Wars, which takes a comical journey through the underbelly of the American beer industry. The event is presented by Zeroday Brewing Co. A $5 suggested donation is taken at the door, with 50% of proceeds benefiting Harrisburg River Rescue..
• It’s pint glass time… Here are tonight’s keep-the-pint promos:
• Tröegs drafts at Brewhouse Grille (see above) starting at 5pm
• Tröegs drafts at Arooga’s 22 (7025 Allentown Blvd., Harrisburg) starting at 5:30pm
• Tröegs drafts at Arooga’s 39 (4301 Linglestown Rd., Harrisburg) starting at 5:30pm
• Deschutes tap takeover at Sturges Speakeasy (see above) starting at 6pm
• Starr Hill pints at North Hanover Grille (37 N. Hanover St., Carlisle) starting at 9pm