The time has come for last call for the inaugural Harrisburg Beer Week. If you’re crying right now, we wouldn’t be surprised if your tears smell like hops and carry a slight ABV. Alas, though all good things must come to an end, there’s no reason why they can’t end on a high note. And with just two days remaining, there’s still plenty of time to get your fill of craft-brewed goodness.
As always, we recommend perusing the HBW event calendar and plotting your own course. But if you need some help, you can read what HBW co-producers Tierney Pomone and Sara Bozich recommend below, as well as Fly’s picks for the weekend…
Tierney and Sara recommend:
• Brewhouse Grille (2050 State Rd., Camp Hill) features four brews from Free Will Brewing Co. Friday starting at 4pm. On tap are: two limited barrel-aged selections (Black Friday and Ralphius), Kreik Lambic and an IPA. Bonus: Keep the pint glass for every IPA ordered (while supplies last). Double bonus: Tröegs tap takeover.
• Harrisburg nano-creamery Urban Churn is partnering up with Tröegs to create a special beer-infused ice cream, which will then be paired WITH Tröegs brews. It’s going down Friday at Grain + Verse Bottlehouse (148 Sheraton Dr., New Cumberland) from 6-9pm.
• End your week on a little big note at the Little Big Beer Fest on Saturday in the Abbey Bar at Appalachian Brewing Co. (50 N. Cameron St., Harrisburg) starting at 2pm. Every brew at this festival is a limited run and each is considered to be a ‘Big Beer’ (meaning higher ABV). Some of the featured beers are: a Molly Pitcher Brewing-Bube’s Brewery collaboration on a tequila barrel-aged brew, a SaraBozich.com-Free Will Brewing collaboration on a spicy brew and a Stouts and Stilettos-Pizza Boy Brewing collaboration on Sunkissed Stout. This is a ticketed event, so get your tickets now.
• Firkin Friday (and Saturday) – If you haven’t had your fill of specialty firkins yet, here are your last chances to get in on the casky action:
• Quaker Steak and Lube (165 Gateway Dr., Mechanicsburg) taps a firkin of an extra hopped version of Tröegs Perpetual IPA on Friday at 5pm
• Blue Moose Bar & Grille (791 Linglestown Rd., Harrisburg) invites you to help kick a firkin of Tröegs Hopback Amber Ale on Friday starting at 5pm. Bonus: Keep the glass with every draft while supplies last!
• If you missed Thursday night’s Pizza Boy firkin at Arooga’s Downtown, you should make sure to catch round two of Double Wingstinguisher IPA on Friday at 5:30pm at Arooga’s Hershey (637 E. Main St., Hummelstown)
• Celebrate the final day of Harrisburg Beer Week with a firkin of Tröegs Perpetual IPA at Arooga’s Downtown (201 N. 2nd St., Harrisburg) on Saturday at 5:30pm.
• The Sturges Speakeasy (400 Forster St., Harrisburg) features likely the largest selection of Spring House Brewing Co. beers outside the brewery’s Taproom in downtown Lancaster Friday from 5-7pm. The tap takeover features Big Gruesome, Mango IPA and other limited releases.
• The Brewery at Hershey (598 Schoolhouse Rd., Middletown) rings in the beginning of its Decked-Out Live! summer concert season Friday night from 6-10pm. Enjoy small batch, seasonal and flagship craft brews in addition to live music from Element 22.
• Start Saturday off right with a 75-min detoxifying vinyasa yoga class at the new Om My Yoga Harrisburg Warehouse (614 N Front St., Harrisburg) at 11am. A beer sampling featuring St. Boniface Brewing Co.takes place following the class.
• Get in the Cinco De Mayo spirit a few days early with a randall of Victory Golden Monkey poured through tequila-soaked wood chips and lime peels at Arooga’s 11 (4713 Carlisle Pike, Mechanicsburg) on Saturday starting at 7:30pm. Bonus: Stick around for the Mayweather – Pacquiao fight.